Friday, November 02, 2007

My Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It’s officially Autumn and we officially have a break. We are settled into my grandmother’s house while we continue our house search and for the first time in quite some time I’m at peace. There’s a nice feeling knowing there is no more rush to pack, move boxes and be sure not to send anything you might need to storage for an indefinite amount of time.

But the best part for me is it’s November – which I’ve always enjoyed, but after meeting C it’s an even better month for me.

This is my favorite time of year. The crisp autumn chill (though this morning in Boston it felt a lot like winter). The crunch of leaves under my feet. The smell of a fire from neighboring chimneys after the sun goes down. And it’s apple season! Every year since I was a little girl I’ve spent my fall weekends making apple pies. My great Auntie Eva taught me and made a tradition out of it – baking apple pies and watching old movies. To this day I still make sure I have an old classic on while baking them in her memory.

November is also very close to my heart as C and I met this month and had our first date. What more could a girl ask for than to meet her perfect guy during her favorite time of the year (and yes, C is a BIG fall fan too!)

And (I know many find it annoying) but my other absolute favorite thing about the month of November? Come the week of Thanksgiving there’s a radio station in Boston that plays 24 hours of Christmas music everyday until Christmas. I simply can’t get enough of it! Though I know, unless some miracle happens and we buy, paint, replace carpeting and move into a new house before Christmas, this will be the first year in a very long time that I won’t be trimming my tree with my heirloom ornaments or decorating my mantel. It’s bittersweet – but will be worth the wait knowing when we do find our perfect new home it will be a place where we can build new holiday traditions year after year after year.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

DAMMIT! I'm not around any more for the wonderful 24-7 Christmas music station!!! CRAP! I love that station. No one around here knows Dominic The Donkey - backwards Connecticutians. :-(

Jiggity jig (hehaw, hehaw) It's Dominic the donkey. Jiggity Jig (hehaw, hehaw) the Italian Christmas Donkey! La la la, la lalalala, la la!

Damn, I miss my city. :-(

Kristi said...

I LOVE the fall too. Definitely a beautiful time of year in the Northeast.

What a great tradition of baking apple pies on the weekends. You could use your Kitchenaid (if it's not packed away in a box) to make the pie crust, you know!

Lisanne said...

Just keep your thoughts focused on that brand-new home ... when it *does* happen for you, it will be magical and *so* very awesome! I remember well our first Christmas in our very first home, and it was incredibly special. Good luck with everything! I love fall, too! It's made even more special because our daughter was born on Halloween.

Gal on the Go said...

Nikki - I can't believe you now have that stupid song in my head! The only Christmas song that drives me nuts - although I'm Italian :-)

Kristi - Be rest assured I have every intentions of finally breaking out the KitchenAid this weekend. Wish me luck!

Lisanne - Thank you for your advice. You're right when it happens it will be magical. I just worry too much about making the wrong decision :-)