Monday, September 15, 2008

Why I Still Don't Have a Dining Room Table

We moved into our new house what? Nearly six months ago? And I still don't have a dining room table. Don't get me wrong, I had one picked out more than nine months ago, but I was waiting for C to paint the dining room before pulling the trigger. This was my original plan a beautiful Liz Claiborne piece:



Then when the time came to buy it I realized something. My dining room and kitchen is one long front-to-back room on one side of the house and both open into each other. The problem: My cabinets are maple:



It simply wouldn't work :-(

So that nixed my idea for a super dark wood slightly formal table. So in the past month and a half I've been to literally every furniture store Massachusetts has to offer and have perused every furniture website out there. I thought I solved the problem when I found this at Pottery Barn last week:



But leave it to me - first of all the round table was too small, but the rectangular one would have been perfect. Back to the "leave it to me" part - they have officially discontinued this wood style leaving me with the small round table or a giant square one (not a fan).

Back to the drawing board. We found ourselves Saturday night back at the furniture store where we purchased our living room furniture. We had to go back to order the area rug for the living room (because remember, I can't use Nana's after all). When we were done with that I found what I think might be the perfect table. Wood on top, black legs, black chairs with wooden seats, absolutely solid and very striking in person. I figure it will tie the room together nicely as we have black appliances and black accents in the kitchen (or will - they haven't been installed yet)

Unfortunately the only picture of it I could find online shows it as an oval with different accent pieces. The one I plan on purchasing is a 72" rectangular style with really beautiful pieces. Nevertheless here is what it looks like oval (and I'll be honest, this picture simply doesn't do it justice):



Thoughts? I'm open to all advice, as I have yet to buy anything but really need something in place otherwise my relatives will be eating Thanksgiving dinner on the floor!

3 comments:

ThePapaDog said...

I see you've hired Helen Keller to help decorate your new pad...

Kristi said...

Um, what's up with the first comment?

Anyway, I love the table you picked out, and I'm insanely jealous of the space in your kitchen. I have approximately 4 inches of counter space.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Buy the table you need for regular eating that you like the best and then buy those long folding tables with beautiful table cloths for parties. Cheaper and nobody really can tell the difference, anyway!