Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Some Big Decisions Finally Made

So they say home is where the heart is right? Well for me home is where I can live happily and comfortable with C – while also being fairly close to my family. But at the end of the day, C and I are making this move to start our own family.
While we’ve been house hunting for quite some time now, mostly in one area of the state, a few weeks back we went looking to see what we could get closer to my family. Now keep in mind, right now I’m only 25 miles away from them (but it seems farther as this area I’m in now is still, even after nearly 5 years, totally new to me). But I digress.

So off to my hometown we went where we found some interesting properties but what it meant was downsizing from our antique colonial into a much, smaller ranch or cape with a tiny lot for a significant amount of money over what we want to pay. But C was willing to do it. And I really wanted it. All to be closer to my folks.

All this is being complicated by the fact we want to put our house on the market ASAP for the fall, rather than wait for spring. And while C is good at putting together a plan and turning it into an action, I, on the other hand, when it comes to big decisions, flip flop, try to avoid them at all costs, and take it to an emotional level. But I’m working on that and I think I’m doing pretty well.

Throughout the weeks and says of discussion, the idea of not moving back to my hometown would literally bring me to tears, all because I want to be closer to my mom, dad and brother. Which I finally realized is insane because (a) I don’t live near them now and haven’t in nearly 5 years (and I’m down there every weekend, and (b) everything we want (affordability, lots of land, nice neighborhoods, great schools, a lot of house for less money) is all up here. And really, at the end of the day is it that much farther away? (Sorry girls, but it looks like Liz won't be moving back to the area)

Last weekend was a real turning point for us. We did some more research – because we needed to decide what we were going to do, where we were going to go and then put the plan into action. What we didn’t know is that if we looked for homes a bit further north than where we live now (approx 6-10 miles) we are talking about a whole lot of house (nearly 2,200 sq ft) on a whole lot of land, for a whole lot less than we’d spend moving back to my home town (where incidentally the taxes are also insanely high).

That being said, we mulled our options, made lists, had lots and lots of discussions and made our decision to get the house ready to market (ASAP) and start looking for a new home. Now to pack up everything we have that we aren't using so this house will fit the bill of any "Sell This House" episode.

And I have to say after all the drama (internal and external) I’m happy with the decision because I know it’s the right one. I’m happy that we are doing this together I’m happy that we are planning to have a family, I’m just happy!

I can't wait for this next step in our lives together and setting up our new home! Whoo hoo!

Thank God because up until a few days ago I was having nightmares like you wouldn’t believe about buying a new house, moving, losing shoes, even one where a crown on one of my teeth fell off – and if you know me you know nightmares are a rarity in my world.

But, because I’m me, I’m still having inner turmoil on one tiny issue – figuring out what to do with Miss Molly when the house is being shown.

Do we keep her in the house and let the realtor know she can’t get out and put notes on the doors? Or do we simply move her somewhere else in the meantime (which I really don’t want to do)? It’s not as simple as getting a heads-up when someone is coming to look at the house, as in this market if we want it to move (which we do) we need to make it accessible at all times of the day whether we are home or not.

Anyone have any thoughts or words of wisdom?

1 comment:

My Wombinations said...

I think this sounds like the right choice. And you will still be close to family! You will see them all the time! Congrats. Can't wait to read more as it unfolds.