Friday, December 07, 2007

Still Searching

I owe you all a post. I’m sorry I’ve been MIA lately, between the marathon house hunting (which is still continuing – I think now we’ve looked at nearly 80 houses) and getting ready for Christmas I’ve simply been too tired at night to type.

As you can assume, we still don’t have a new home and frankly we’re both getting a little antsy. Man it’s hard. Plus with the market tanking around us – every day something new is coming up and the prices are getting better by the day so it's hard not to want to hold out and see what comes up tomorrow.

C is actually looking at a great house tonight in our range which is about $90K under its original asking price. I have to work so he’s going on his own – we have to do it this way because at that price, in the community we really want to live in, someone will be snatching that up very soon.

So keep your fingers crossed – I really hoped we’d be in a new house by Christmas. It’s my absolute favorite time of the year. I love nothing better than decorating for the holidays, carefully choosing those special gifts (which is so much easier with the ability to do the majority of it online) and wrapping everything while enjoying a fantastic bottle of wine and listening to my holiday music playlist on my iPod (a gift from two Christmas’ ago). But this year it’s bittersweet. All my decorations are in storage and we really don’t have the space for the tree with all our boxes of what we needed for our temporary stay at my grandmother’s. I’m hoping to get myself into the spirit a bit tomorrow night wrapping my gifts and listening to music, but not being able to admire my tree - which every year is covered in antique ornaments passed down to me from my great aunt who passed away many years ago (she was my favorite) - is going to be hard. So while this year will be a bittersweet holiday, I at least know there is something to look forward to in the New Year – setting up our new home (wherever that will be).

Have a great weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Good luck with the continued search. I hope that in a few months' time, you'll be living in your dream home, and planning how you will decorate it for next Christmas.

Tim said...

You may be at Nana's, but did you guys lug out the big Santa from the basement?

Gal on the Go said...

Kristi: Thanks so much! I can't wait until we are finally settled!

Tim: Nah - didn't you know, years ago after I moved in we moved Santa to his new permanent resting place (on a chair in Nana's office). Unfortunately (OK, I'm lying through my teeth) Big Santa, and the three hundred small ones that usually sit on every surface and step (enough to kill you), never came down from the attic this year. Thank goodness for small wonders! Hope you're well!!!