Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What Do I Want to Be When I Grow Up?

What Do I Want to Be When I Grow Up?

I know, it’s an odd question for someone who has been cultivating her journalism career since she was 16. Twenty-two years later I’m the executive editor in charge of a pretty successful publication geared toward design engineers. Who am I kidding? We are one of the company’s flagship publications. I have a great staff, a wonderful group of co-workers and of course an office with a door and a window (took me years to get this).

But at times, while I know (and I’m not being conceited it’s truth) I am one of the best damn managing/executive editors out there, my ability to be challenged is coming into play once again.

When I first came on board more than two years ago, I made some changes, that after six months started to make all the difference. Everyone is on a schedule, editors make deadlines, production is handled in a professional and organized manner and my editorial department really does run like a well-oiled machine. I take pride in what I do. I take it personally and at times let my professional life bleed over into my personal life. Anyone who knows me knows I spend way too much time at night and on the weekends putting out fires on my Blackberry and answering emails from editors and vendors.

Which brings me to the latest. I’m fed up with some things going on currently in my position. Nothing that can’t be changed, I’m just at a point where if it was any other situation I’d say I was in a funk. But I know it’s not a funk and therefore it’s not something I need to “snap out of.” What I may need is a change or an added direction to my career path.

I’m working on a strategy of what I’m going to do and what I want to do next and hopefully I can make that all happen here at my current employer. I want to get more involved in other aspects of publishing, while keeping up with what I’m doing. The perils of running a well-oiled machine is that when things are running super smoothly you can find yourself with a lot of downtime – something I do not handle well. I like to be busy. I love a challenge and I’m always willing to push myself further toward any goal dangled in front of me.

Now I have to put my plan into action, make sure it’s attainable and see how I can make myself a better me.

Quick Molly Update: My kitty managed to go three full weeks with no vomiting! It’s a record, although she did break the record yesterday. But I have to tell you it feels nice to have her warm little furry body in the crook of my arm all night long. I swear it helps me sleep better at night.

1 comment:

My Wombinations said...

I know you will find your way to a new challenge:) That is just your style. Good luck. And happy Molly news!