Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Nearing the End of the Journey

The past two months has been, to say the least, very stressful. In the past 60 days, C and I moved into our new house. My family has sold and finally finished cleaning out my grandmother’s house. And my cat – well Molly is still having some issues. (actually just put a call into the vet this morning)

Needless to say with everything going on at the home front, along with some really stressful situations at work, I haven’t felt like myself in a long, long time. But I’m trying. I really am.

I’m still not settled in our new home. Still have boxes everywhere – although now that the attic is almost finished (C had to deck it) we will, in the very near future, be able to get all the boxes currently residing in our two spare bedrooms up there and out of sight. We also plan to “temporarily” store anything we have taking up space in the living room (also full of boxes) until we get it painted and furnished.

I have met my neighbor across the street finally. She’s very nice and shared some Day Lillies with me last week that her girlfriend gave her. (who doesn’t love free plants!) I was very happy. And as I mentioned a week or two ago, I’ve been gardening like a madwoman every weekend trying to make the outside of our house as attractive as possible since I’m at a standstill on the inside.

Like I said, we finally finished cleaning out my grandmother’s house. My mom, dad and I have been at it for months now and once a week C and I handle getting it all out to the curb for the garbagemen. We’ve even enlisted the neighbor who lets us add our trash to hers as the piles are so large. It also helps the house is on the corner of two roads, so we’ve been piling it up on both sides every week. And today, finally, after everything, at this moment the house is empty. The estate guy came to take the remainder of the furniture and all that remains is boxes of trash to be put out tomorrow night, along with the contents of the garage.

Now I can focus more on my own house and trying to finally after two months of living there get the rest of it unpacked and organized. I also intend to get myself organized again. If you know me you know how organized I am when it comes to work, etc.. but in my personal life right now everything’s a mess. I need to pull it together and get everything, EVERYTHING, back on track.

I’ve been very emotional lately. Not sure if it’s from being overwhelmed at the many tasks at hand I’ve been juggling for a while now or because at the end of the day it’s also the end of an era. In a week a new family will begin putting their mark on a house my family spent many a holiday at over the decades. I plan a more memorable post on my grandmother’s house in the future, but I don’t have it in me right now. I think it’s also hard because I did live there for a number of years myself.

It’s just a place full of memories and now I can’t imagine what it will be like to go in there tomorrow afternoon and see it completely empty as it was when they bought it in the ‘40s. But tomorrow I’ll find out. I wonder if I should bring a box of tissues.

3 comments:

My Wombinations said...

That IS a huge deal and you need to give yourself plenty of space for all those feelings and that sadness. It is a huge change.

Gal on the Go said...

S - thanks for listening through all this - it's really helped a lot!

Kristi said...

I can completely relate. My grandmother's house is the center of our family. Every Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, and every summer picnic, not to mention numerous graduation, birthday, and engagement parties have been held there since I was born. And I practically lived there when I was a kid too. I agree with Sasha-it is a huge deal with a lot of emotions wrapped up in your move. I hope as you're getting used to your new digs that you can take some time to remember the good times you spent there.