Thursday, January 17, 2008

Color Conundrum

It’s funny now that all is said and done and we are simply just waiting to close on the new house, there’s a long list of things I’m trying to figure out before we get in there.

With C poised to jump in and start doing work (removing carpeting, putting down new carpets and flooring in the lower level, painting and even talk of updating the kitchen counters to granite) I have – in my own true fashion – given myself a deadline which I feel is looming.

First step: paint colors.

Why did I think this would be easy? Probably because I quickly and easily picked them for the two largest rooms in the house – the living room and the master bedroom. Basically I fully intend on painting the master the same color I chose for our old house because I absolutely loved it! And the living room will also be a tan color – just slightly lighter than the bedroom paint.

I’m thinking Benjamin Moore’s Monroe Bisque for the hallway, staircase and landings, as I know it’s a very neutral color that slightly changes depending on the amount of light it gets so I thought that would be best for these areas that flow into each other. But now that I’ve hyperlinked it – the color is looking a bit too “tan” for me. Oh God.

The dining room, however, is another problem. I’m stumped. Honestly. I’d love to paint it a deep cranberry – but I fear it may darken the room too much. But it’s a large square space with white trim and a wood floor so I think it would look great. I just can’t pull the trigger. For that reason and because I’m flip flopping on colors – originally I thought of doing that room a pale green or a Wedgewood blue – but I’m really not a blue person and I think I can use the green in one of the other upstairs bedrooms. So I’m torn. Maybe Cranberry Cocktail or Cherokee Brick?

I do, however, know for sure the second of the two other bedrooms will have the same paint color as one of our spare rooms in the last house – Benjamin Moore’s New Hope Grey – I just loved it for a bedroom.

And Saybrook Sage for one of the two bathrooms – which one I haven’t decided yet

Help!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out these 2 colors (a subtle green and striking historic red)

California Paints Codman Claret (Historic line)

Benjamin Moore Sherwood Green

We constantly get compliments on our wall colors ... love these

Kristi said...

I say take the plunge on the deep cranberry. If the room is large enough a dark color will look fantastic. I originally wanted to paint my living room a dark brick red, but chose a darkish green instead. Everyone thought it would be too dark, but now we get tons of compliments on it, and of course, I take all the credit. ;)

Good luck making your choices.

Gal on the Go said...

Thanks for the color suggestions, they are absolutely wonderful!

Kristi - thank you - I think I am going to take the plunge. I've never really been afraid of color and what's the worst that can happen? We can always repaint - though not for a while. I think it will look nice with the wood floors and white trim and some dark furniture.

Rob said...

Did you ever decide on a color? Oddly enough my girlfriend and I am trying to decide between those exact two colors for our dining room. I kind of think the Cherokee Brick looks a little pink (which I want to avoid). Please comment back and let us know what you decided!!

Gal on the Go said...

Hi Rob - we did! Check out the post from earlier this week and let me know if I can help you and your girlfriend in any way.