Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Room Designing 101

I've been meaning to blog for days but honestly I do not know where the time goes. There is just so much going on with everything right now (mostly not house related) that I'm having a heck of a time trying to focus on what's really been and really should be at the forefront of my thoughts - designing the rooms in our new house.

I started doing rough layouts of the rooms based on the measurements I took during the home inspection. Thank goodness Jordan's Furniture has an online room planner - that's the easy part. The hard part is determining how to layout furniture in a long (width of the house) room. So I'm going to need your help. As you can see I've started, but I'm stumped what to do with the left side of the room, although I'm definitely thinking bookcases along the left wall to the window. (if it's too small to see click on the photo and you can get a better look).



What do you all think? I'm desperate for suggestions so please feel free!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're buying furniture for your to-be-painted cranberry livingroom, just remember that reds absorb light, and your eye reads it as dark. So maybe think about light or medium colored couches--for contrast. Your couch (or couches) are the largest pieces in the room, so you don't want them to recede into the walls.

If you're feeling overwhelmed/confused about designing, do what I did: rip pages of inspiration out of catalogs - choose designer rooms you love, then literally copy the room and pieces you love, item by item. (but use craig's list, shop around at yard sales, check out your local auction -- you'd be amazed what you can replicate!)

Gal on the Go said...

Thank you so much! I started a binder a while ago of all sorts of furniture and decorative pieces I'm interested in.

I'm actually thinking of doing the living room in a light tan color with white trim. The dining room is going to be my cranberry room and I'm thinking a large, oversized round table and small buffet. Do you think that will work with the cranberry in that room or will the dark furniture and the dark paint be too much.

Anonymous said...

That sounds gorgeous! I would have worried about say, dark colored couches against cranberry walls, but I think your dining room with a dark table will be fabulous and sophisticated. I myself love dark or deep mohogony furniture. Does your dining room have trim/crown molding? If not, you can buy pre-cut crown molding that is already painted white (and easy to nail up) to add a little lightness to the cranberry room. You can also lighten the room up with accessories and lighting - just little accents here and there. For example a cream textured runner on your dark table, or white sconces on the walls. You'll get ideas of what has to be done once your walls are painted and your table is in place!

Kristi said...

I'm horrible at furniture placement. Our living room can only be arranged in one way because of the placement of windows and entranceways to other rooms of the house, so I never really had to think about things. But, good luck!