Thursday, April 19, 2007

Reality TV Junkie

C calls it the "dumbing down of America," I call it a release. Yes, I'm addicted to reality shows - but sadly many of them aren't even what someone would consider a "good" reality TV experience.

By day I'm the executive editor of a major technological design magazine with a circulation of more than 180,000 worldwide. Give a girl a break. I work hard during the day and aside from catching up on some of my reading at night, I like to escape and watch non-thinking, mind-numbing if you will, television.

I love Amazing Race All Stars (but can't stand Charla and Mirna), totally had it with Survivor, and can't stomach the ridiculousness of the Bachelor (although I was a big fan of the Bachelorette which seems to never be coming back).

Now here is where I'm concerned. I'm a big fan of The Hills, and I know I'm not the only one. I did stop watching Laguna Beach after the second season. But, as a seasoned 90210 fan how could I not program my DVR to record Tori & Dean Inn Love (you've got to love the Oxygen channel) - it's such a train wreck I can't stop watching!!!! And this is before her baby is even born. I imagine it will get much better. I am also one of those people who actually caught Rob & Amber's (of Amazing Race and Survivor fame) reality show Rob & Amber Against the Odds - where they move to Las Vegas so he can see if he can make a living being a professional poker player. Really folks - some of this stuff you have to see to believe.

C was actually speechless the other night when he was going through our recordings to find I'm now also taping Run's House. I'm giving you all the same answer I gave him - I do not know.

So yeah, train wreck reality is my escape, well that and shopping, but sometimes there isn't that much disposable income burning a hole in my pocket, so curling up on the couch is the better way to go.

6 comments:

furiousBall said...

I would totally be engrossed with that Rob and Amber show if the producers of the show promised them to be blown up at the end of it. I mean isn't that the ultimate for a reality TV star?

Gal on the Go said...

Oh come on - Rob is from up here - I actually interviewed him for a story a number of years ago. Dumb as dirt, but really nice.

ThePapaDog said...

I don't think I told you this week, but I just want to remind you how GAY you are....

Gal on the Go said...

Please be nice to me - we are blood for God's sake! :P

Kristi said...

I am totally with you on the reality tv addiction. There is just something mind-numbingly pleasing about watching other people's lives crash and burn on tv. Love AR, and if Danny and Oswald don't win, I may weep. Loudly. I also watch Survivor, American Idol, and I will even admit to watching Temptation Island (remember that gem?) when it was on about five years ago.

Gal on the Go said...

I can't believe I'm admitting this, but yes Kristi I totally remember Temptation Island and watched it religiously. Nothing like a good train wreck right in the middle of your livingroom to make you realize how great you have it in life!